Dear Albert Ferris-Prabhu,

     I am glad you found the info on the Pallidotomy helpful.  A
Pallidotomy on one side takes about 2 hours at Loma Linda and on
both sides about 3 hours.  Loma Linda and Dr Iacono is the only
doctor in the world currently doing simultaneous bilateral (both
sides) Pallidotomies.
     Some of the counter indications are the possibility of
bleeding and a possible stroke.  There is also a very slight risk
of losing part of a field of vision.  Outside of this there are
the normal surgical risks.
     The average cost at Loma Linda is $20,000 for a unilateral
and $30,000 for a biilateral.  Most insurance covers the cost and
it is not considered experimental but therapeutic.
     Th Pallidotomy is effective for all the symptoms of
Parkinson's disease.  It takes anywhere from 2-3 months to
schedule an appt. with Dr Iacono 909-796-4822.
     The stay in the hospital barring any complications is
limited to one day.  Check-in the morning of surgery and check
out the next morning.
     The first step I would recommend your taking is to make an
appt. with Dr Iacono and come out for a consultation.

Sincerely,

Don Berns <[log in to unmask]>