 Michelle Ehrlich,

     Here is my best explanation of the Pallidotomy.

                     A Parkinson Pallidotomy Primer
                         compiled & summarized
                              by Don Berns

BRIEF HISTORY
Globus Pallidus
Years ago observant doctors noted that Parkinson patients who had a
stroke in a particular area of the brain experienced some relief
from their symptoms.
Animal Model
With the serendipitous discovery  and identification of MPTP (Dr
Langston, San Jose, CA early 1980's) as a parkinsonian inducing
chemical, research scientists had the means for creating a
parkinsonian animal model.
Research
Through pursuant studies researchers noted that one of the critical
abnormalities in animal models of Parkinson's disease is an
increased amount of electrical activity in the globus pallidus of
the brain.  By cutting the pallidofugal fibers as they travel from
the globus pallidus to the thalamus the abnormal signal causing the
signs and symptoms of Parkinson's disease is short-circuited.
Explanation
To understand how a pallidotomy works think of the brain as
containing a series of interconnected electrical circuits.  In the
parkinsonian one of these circuits is overly active because there
is not enough of the neurotransmitter dopamine to regulate the
electrical activity.  A lesion (small hole)is created on the
electrical pathway between the globus pallidus and the subthalamic
nucleus.  Thus, using this metaphor, the overly active circuit is
cut.

THE PROCEDURE
Technique
Through a procedure technically known as a Postero-Ventral
Pallidotomy, a probe will be inserted into a very precise location
of the globus pallidus approximately four inches beneath the top of
the head.  The patient remains conscious under a local  anesthetic.
When the probe is in the correct position, immediately adjacent to
the optic nerve a small electrical charge will be transmitted to
the tip of the probe.
If the probe is too deep the patient will experience his/her very
own fireworks display and the probe will be slightly withdrawn.
When it is properly located there will be a slight twitch in the
cheek or tongue.  At that moment heat will be generated to the
probe tip and a small lesion will be created.
Explanation
A simplistic explanation is this procedure creates lesions of
pallidofugal fibers leaving the globus pallidus on the way to the
thalamus.   Rough Translation  - An overly active neuronal pathway
which results in abnormal and extra-kinetic movements, is severed.
Although the Pallidotomy is not a cure it can eliminate many of the
manifestations.  The results  are instantaneous and appear to be
long lasting.
History
Similar surgical procedures have been available since the early
1940's, however refinement in surgical technique, increased
knowledge, the development of a parkinson induced animal model, and
monumental advances in technology (CAT scans and MRI's), now enable
very precise identification and hitting of the target in the globus
pallidus.
     Dr Robert Iacono (Loma Linda University Medical Center)
states, "The beneficial effects of Postero-Ventral Pallidotomy on
akinesia, postural instability, stooped posture, freezing, on-off
phenomenon as well as tremor, rigidity, dystonia and dyskinesia are
superior to the results reported for fetal graft implantation, best
pharmacologic results, or conventional stereotactic procedures." 1
     Dr. Lauri Laitinen in Stockholm, Sweden, uses CAT scans for
locating target area. CAT scans are not as precise as MRI used by
doctors in U.S.
     In 1952, Dr. Lars Leksell in Lund, Sweden began to perform
anterodorsal Pallidotomies, but the results were not satisfactory
and he gradually moved his target area to the Postero-Ventral part
of the Pallidum.  In so doing Dr. Lars Leksell moved the
Pallidotomy outside the classic anterodorsal target area.
     Dr. Lars Leksell in addition to this pioneering work also is
credited with developing the first Gamma Knife.  The Gamma Knife
creates the Pallidotomy lesion by using high-powered focused
radiation beams.
     Between 1985 and 1990 Dr. Lauri Laitinen & Associates tested
Dr. Lars Leksell's Pallidotomy procedure on 38 Parkinsonian
patients, using stereotactic Postero-Ventral procedures as opposed
to Gamma Knife or anterodorsal classic procedures.
     "Upon re-examination 2 to 71 months after surgery (mean 28
months) complete or almost complete relief of rigidity and
hypokinesia (slowness of movement) was observed in 92% of the
patients.  Of the 32 patients who before surgery also suffered from
tremor, 26 (81%) had complete or almost complete relief of tremor.
The L-dopa induced dyskinesia and muscle pain had greatly improved
or disappeared in most patients, and gait and speech difficulties
also showed remarkable improvement."
"The positive effect of Postero-Ventral Pallidotomy is believed to
be based on the interruption of some striopallidal or
subthalamopallidal pathways, which results in disinhibition of
medial pallidal activity necessary for movement control." 2

COMMENTS BY THOSE WHO HAVE HAD PALLIDOTOMIES

Bill Dickinson: Fullerton, CA