Barb Colmery ([log in to unmask])

Yes, Barbara, I agree that the costs quoted are astronomical.  Yet,
they are not "out of line" when compared to what some hospitals
charge for care.  My 16-year-old daughter, last year, had surgery
for gallbladder disease (yes, pretty young for that!) and had a
laparoscopic operation (the "latest thing").  She was otherwise
quite healthy and was in the hospital for only 3 days, and the
hospital bill was $30,000!  Again, like you, I had "good insurance";
but this is why the insurance premiums have skyrocketed (one of the
reasons).  The surgeon who did the operation charged $1,500, which I
thought was quite reasonable; but, in most cases, it is the hospital
bill which is so high (like $5.00 aspirin tablets, etc.).

Most of this is related to "cost shifting", this being the hospital's
attempt to "make up" what it does not receive from people insured
under "managed care", HMOs, Medicaid, etc.  I do think, however,
that the costs of the pallidotomy described at Loma Linda are "out
of line", but I would like to see them broken down as to what are
the hospital charges, and what is the surgeon's fee.  For example,
in my practice, the charge for surgery for a brain tumor (which is a
more complex and risky operation than is a pallidotomy), is somewhere
between $5,000 and $6,000.  Medicare will pay about $1,800, Medicaid
will pay about $1,200; and some "good" private insurance policies
will pay as much as $2,500.

The present debates going on in health care do not really address
this situation.  While I am, in general, a Clinton supporter, I oppose
his Plan because it perpetuates the present system of "managed care",
which for the most part, results in large profits for the insurance
companies.  I support Proposition 186, the "Single-Payer Initiative"
which is on the November ballot in California, and which is
similar to the Canadian system; as it will "level the playing field".
There is no easy solution, but reform of health care financing is
urgent.

I have recently written an article concerning this and have submitted
it to several national magazines, but I have not yet heard as to
whether it will be accepted or not.  If not, I may consider posting
it here and elsewhere.  Sorry to get on my "soap box", but this is
a vital issue, not only for Parkinson people, but for all.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"