It is with some diffidence that I venture to ask " What is a Pallidotomy for
PD?".  This is because I am a newbie here and I am probably asking
something everyone else knows all about.

I know  that the term refers to a neurolgical operation carried out on each
hemisphere of the brain.  However, I don't really see how a procedure which
my medical dictionary describes as "... the creation of lesions by
sterotaxic surgery in the globus pallidus for treatment of extra-pyramidal
disorders..."  can  rectify the patient's  dopamine insuffiency.

I note that it is claimed that "...Pallidotomy is effective for all the
symptoms of  Parkinson's disease..." But what exactly does this mean?  At
the risk of appearing churlish, does this mean that it suppresses the
symptoms without treating the underlying cause.   How effectively ?  50%,
75%, 99% ?   And for how long  is it effective?

How long has  Pallidotomy been practised as a treament for PD,  and how many
patients have been treated?  Does it work in all cases?   What  other
indications are there for Pallidotomy, how commonly is it used for these
other diseases?

In particular, I would be concerned about the extent and severity of any
side-effects, such as  collateral damage to other brain functions.  I  note
that only  at Loma Linda is the procedure done  on both sides of the brain
at the same time.  If other practitioners, don't do this,  it suggests to me
 that the procedure may not be considered entirely risk free, in respects
other than the stroke and peripheral vision risks mentioned.

I  would also be interested to read any  first-hand accounts of the treatment.

Once again, I apologise, for  these questions, but I  want to learn as much
as I can about a treatment that is so highly praised.