>From: Sergio Guzik <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      REQUEST FOR HELP

Last week I send a message, but I never received an answer from anybody. Maybe
the list was inactive. I'm resending it since my contractures are even more
painful than before. I hope someone can comment similar experience.

       Hy, everybody! I'm an "old" (about 8 months) hand at the
list, which has been invaluable in the mamanagement of
my PD (diagnosed 15 years ago) I'm 57 years old, male, living in
Mexico and now quite worried because a precipitous
downturn in my symptoms, rigidity, freezing, but above all, very
painful muscle contractions, that nobody knows here
how to fight. They are most prominent in the chest, shoulders,
back and groin, and seem to be more associated with the
OFF periods. I used to have strong dyskinesias, but now they are
less strong and frequent, so I assume that this pain is
due to a lessening  the effect of  Sinemet  that I take in
liquid form 8 tablets of 100/25, combined with 4 Permax, of 1mg.
plus Vit. C, in 800 c.c. of distilled water.
Then I take 50 cc. each hour from 8 am to 11 pm.
                Has  anyone experienced pain due to rigidity,
and what did you do? The only relief from pain used
to be Xanax (Alprazolam), but know the relief is shorter and the
dose is larger, and I'm aware of the addictive side
effect.
        I've decided to have a pallidotomy next month in Denver
with a neurologist that is not only a very capable
professional, but a human been, concerned, involved , quite
different from the wealth of neurologists and neurosurgeons
that we  consulted in all this years. And because of that, I'm
willing to be his first case. (Besides the fact that other places
that my Denver doctor referred me, Emory  they not only didn't
annswer,  but I  know that there is a 1 year of  waiting
list) .

        Many thanks for any comment and suggestion.

        Sergio Guzik,
        Mexico

---- End Forwarded Message

Sergio:  While I have posted some cautious messages here regarding
over-optimistic attitudes towards pallidotomy; from what I have
read, you may be one of the people who might benefit from such (your
painful muscle contractions).  Be very cautious and ask many
questions of the surgeon; but you have my best wishes and my prayers.
Please let us know how things turn out.

Bob Fink   <[log in to unmask]>
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"