Dear Sergio Guzik:

I am in the same shoes as you.  I am 54, consume about 800 mg of levodopa and
2 mg of Permax per day in liquid form.  The pain you experience is most
likely due to rigidity from the OFF times.  The fact that your dyskinesia is
less is good, but if you are now OFF your meds, something is wrong.  Here are
my suggestions:

1.  Your first dosage of sinemet may need to be increased.  I would suggest
that it be somewhere between 75 and 100 cc.  This will get you ON higher
initially.  The 50 cc per hour should hold you there.

2. If (1) doesn't do it, try increasing the hourly amount.  Make 1000 cc of
liquid Sinemet using 1000 cc of water, 10 25/100 Sinemet and 4 mg Permax.
 Now use 55 cc or 60 cc per hour.

The muscle pain you reference in the OFF state is often related to under
medication.  I recently posted an article from the NPF newsletter concerning
internal tremor and other problems all of which are resolved by increasing
the meds.

One other possibility is that you are not using Sinemet brand but are using
the generic carbidopa / levodopa.  I have reports of strength variation by
some who are very sensitive to amount in their system.  I have also reports
of rash and similar reaction to the pill binding.  All were resolved when
they went back to Sinemet brand meds.

Finally, I had a pallidotomy in May of 1993 in Sweden.  The reason I went to
Sweden was Dr. Laitinen's experience.  He had the most experience of anybody
at the time   Somebody must be number one for each surgeon.  Usually No. 1 is
performed with an experienced surgeon present.  As a mater of fact I hope
there is an experienced surgeon there for No. 2 thru No. 10.   I would think
that No. 11 could be the surgeons first solo.  Who did this surgeon train
under?  How many has he done while training?  These are all very important
questions.

Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])