Hi Sergio,

>downturn in my symptoms, rigidity, freezing, but above all, very
>painful muscle contractions, that nobody knows here
>how to fight. They are most prominent in the chest, shoulders,
>back and groin, and seem to be more associated with the
>OFF periods. I used to have strong dyskinesias, but now they are

>                Has  anyone experienced pain due to rigidity,
>and what did you do? The only relief from pain used
>to be Xanax (Alprazolam), but know the relief is shorter and the
>dose is larger, and I'm aware of the addictive side
>effect.

My mother used to have these very painful cramps (freezing, spasms). With
no warning whatsoever, her muscles would cramp giving extreme pain - not
pleasant to watch, or to experience (I would imagine). Primarily these
cramps affected he arms and neck/upper body.

This seemed to be quite an unusual symptom and her Doctors could never
understand or explain it. Additionally, it would never happen when a
doctor was around to witness it :-)

We managed to relieve these cramps when they occured by massaging the
affected muscle. Literally rubbing the muscle quite hard until it relaxed.
Almost pressing it into submission. (easier to do than explain!). What
onlookers need to understand is that the cramp is so painful, no matter how
intrusive and brutal a "therapy" is, if it kills the cramp, it is worth it.

This massage generally fixed the problem. I have a suspicion that regular
physio and exercise prevented them, but that's only mu opinion. We have no
experience of drugs preventing them. Your on/off state and your anti-parkinson
drugs (Sinemet, Madopar, Appomorphine) do matter though.

I hope I have managed to adequately explain Mum's problem and our solution.
No magic bullet, but we did reach an acceptable compromise. I hope it works
for you.

Simon Coles