You wrote:

>Forgive me if this doesn't work properly, this is my first time posting to
>this (or any other) mailing list.
>
>AnneR> Hiccups are funny for an hour but what if they continue for a
>AnneR> day, or a week? What if they go on and on? Can I find another
>AnneR> Parkinsonian who has hiccups? I am asking these questions in all
>AnneR> seriousness. I hope that someone on the list can give me some
>AnneR> information, a medical reference, some suggestions. Are there
>AnneR> any medications? How do they work? Is there a centre for the
>AnneR> study of hiccups? Is it a neurological problem or a problem of
>AnneR> the digestive system or what? Any help you can give me will be
>AnneR> greatly appreciated. Email to [log in to unmask] or post
>AnneR> to this list.
>
>Please keep in mind that I'm NOT a doctor.  However, I'm reading a book from
>Prevention Magazine called "The Doctors Book of Home Remedies".  In the book
>(pp 284-287), John Renner, M.D. is quoted saying "If you have hiccups that
>you can't get rid of for three or four days, see your doctor."..."It may mean
>you have a gastrointestinal disorder, a problem in your NERVOUS SYSTEM or an
>infection of some kind."
>
>I've heard of cases where untreated hiccups became so serious the person had
>to be rushed to the emergency room.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>-jeff
>
>=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=
>=  Jeffrey S. Kaye                            Flying Squirrel Productions  =
>=  [log in to unmask]  (checked 5x/day)          Macintosh/Windows Consulting  =
>=  [log in to unmask] (checked 2x/week)               Eugene Oregon  =
>=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=----=

Jeff is correct.  Chronic hiccups *can* be due to some other, sometimes
serious condition.  They can also be exhausting and should be stopped
in any case.  Unfortunately, it sometimes takes pretty powerful
medicine to stop them, but the most important thing, as Jeff suggests,
is to make sure that they are not due to something else.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"