On Oct 22nd, Larry Fiebert wondered if this condition "is so rare that folks
on this list have not heard of it ..."

My Dad, who is 89, has a CT scan about a year ago which revealed
calcification in those areas of the brain; his MD related this directly to
the PD symptoms being experienced. I had the feeling at the time that this
was not really a surprise, and so it (calcification) may not be all that
rare ... but I have no idea about other possible modes of degeneration.

Chapter 128 of The Merck Manual has a concise discussion of disorders of
movement created by problems in the basal ganglia (and related) areas. There
is apparently a direct relationship here with "excesses or poverty of
movement, and changes in muscle tone and in posture".

Regards,
Dick Schomburg,  Hillsboro, Oregon