The NeuroScience Center                 [log in to unmask]
at Tallahassee Memorial                 (904) 681-5037

On Tue, 25 Oct 1994, A.V.Ferris wrote:

> Would some one be kind enough to explain what is meant by "restless legs"?
>      Thanks very much.
>      <AVFERRIS@UVMVM>

According to the general information brochure sent to me by the Restless
Legs Syndrome Foundation, Inc. entitled _You are not alone._, RLS, also
known as Ekbom Syndrome, Wittmaack-Exbom Syndrome, Anxietas Tibialis or
hereditary Acromelalgia is characterised by unexplainable feelings of
crawling, creeping, pulling, tingling and twitching beneath the skin,
usually between the thighs and ankles and often when the victim sits or
lies down to rest.  These sensations also afflict victims when travelling.

This chronic syndrome can occur sporadically or be hereditary.  It can be
a central nervous system disorder or can sometimes be due to a type of
malfunction of peripheral nerves called neuropathy.  Occassionally it may
be associated with chronic alcoholism, iron-deficiency anemia, pregnancy
or diabetes.  Some scientists suggest that the syndrome may reflect a
mild defect in the way sleep is organized by the brain.

(The above is all plagiarized from the aforementioned brochure)
For more information on RLS, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation, Inc.
304 Glenwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC  27603-1407

I did.

As always, my opinions are my own, but may be purchased by anyone.

Chris @8)