Two cents more:
Grateful med is the easy way to search Medline. You can get information and
an account through NTIS. Your hospital library will probably know the phone
number, or any reference desk in any library probably has the NTIS number.
Dialog has, or used to have a couple of cheap accounts and easy ways to
search Medline on Dialog. There is an 800 number.
There are other vendors. When I worked at Stanford we had an agreement with
the UC system and any Stanford affiliate could go through Melvyl and search
Medline "free".
Your nearest medical school library has all the info. I am sure, we had
handouts, and even classes. Its really fun to do your own searching but to be
good requires some knowledge of MeSH, medical subject headings.
There are many researchers and retired librarians that do searches as a
consulting business, and some of them are really top searchers.
Janpotter.AOL.com