Hi Mark,
When I was working we referred people to the yellow pages under information
brokers I think. Another way is to call UCLA biomed, or UC Irving biomed
libraries, they may have a list of consultants. Usually the larger academic
biomedical libraries have searchers trained in MeSH, and they may do searches
for unaffiliated people. We simply had such a work load that when we did
searches we charged a hefty fee for outside people.

There are patient education libraries that help, but I only know the four in
the bay area. Planetree in San Francisco, and San Jose, The Health Library in
the Stanford shopping center, and Kaiser Oakland I think has a large one. You
might try LA city or county main libraries. They can at least refer you. The
reference desks often have lists.

Also there are often trained librarians in hospitals. Some will do work for
outside people, other times your doctor will have admitting privileges and
can get hospital library work done for you.

Hope this helps.
jan for Paul