An excellent article, Bob.

It reminds me of the problems I had working for the Victorian Work Health
system.  The aim of the insurance company (=health care provider) which
employed me was to make money for its share holders; my aim was to improve
the health and well-being of injured workers.  Meeting my employer's aim
usually meant getting people back to work at any cost to them, meeting my
aim often meant keeping them away from work for long periods of time,
sometimes permanently.  Measures of "quality control" which were
instigated by the insurance company were really measures of "quantity
control" - how many people could be put through the system in a day,
rather than how many people improved in health over a given time.  The
problem was that the people making the final decisions were actuaries,
accountants and business entrepreneurs.

- Rosemary

  Rosemary Lyndall                 Rosemary from DownUnder             _--_|\
  Clinical Neuro-psychologist   [log in to unmask]    Perth /      \
  Perth, Western Australia     [log in to unmask]      -->\_.--._/