Matthew,
        I've always suspected that "Lord A" in James Shirley's _A Lady of
Pleasure_ was really a caricature of Charles Stuart; Shirley and Charles
certainly lost no love over one-another.
On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, M. Steggle wrote: |       Montgomery College
                                       |       (Maryland, US)
A Renaissance drama question:          |
Can anyone think of examples of personation - representing real, living people
on stage - in English drama pre-1660?  I've already got as far as Jonson's
caricatures of his enemies, other plays involved in the War of the Theatres,
and Middleton's @Game at Chess@ 1623....