Several weeks ago we had some discussions about the use of licorice and
the effects on a person's blood pressure when they have parkinson's.
It was suggested that domestic licorice would not be as effective as it is
not salty enough. I located salty and double salty licorice and mother has
been using salty licorice with good results. I purchased in a bulk food
store that sells a lot of herbs and different foods for people with allergies
but it is not a health food store.
My aunt (my mother's sister) has opca (olivio ponto cerebellar atrophy)
and recently had a stroke. She has now receiving home care but the nurses
had never heard of the disorder and I wondered if anyone has a basic article
on this disorder. I tried several years ago to locate research related
to this and could only find some work done in Japan, I realize that often
neurological disorders are lumped together and that may be part of my problem.
I am trying to help my family (I live in a city, they live in a small town)
so wondered if anyone else out there has some info?
It is interesting that my mother has parkinson's, actually two aunts have
opca and their father walked with canes and had similar symptoms that of
course in those days were not recognized as being neurological. They all
were raised in a small town and drank well water, I have seen the
articles that link zinc and well water to neuro disorders. I have also
just finished a needs assessment of a rural district where herbicides and well
water is common and there is a perception of a higher incidence of
parkinson's there as well.
Looking forward to the comments. Judith Kulig, RN, DNSc Assistant Professor
School of Nursing University of Lethbridge [log in to unmask]