Has anyone considered the possibility that the artificial sweetener
Aspartame (marketed under the brand name Nutrasweet) may interfere with the
absorption of levodopa. Chemically they are closely related both containing
phenylalanine; as the absorption of proteins is competitive it seems likely
that there may be some effect.

At the subjective level,  I thought that my levodopa dosage was less
effective when I drank large quantities of blackcurrent cordial sweetened
with Nutrasweet but did not have the same problem with the same stuff
sweetened with sugar.

I have not seen any reference to aspartame/nutrasweet with regard to
levodopa in any of the literature.

Any information would be appreciated.

Andrew Wake
Faculty of Education