Greetings everyone:

As of a few days ago, I am a new member of this forum.  First off, I
should add to the choir by saying thanks to all involved.  Knowledge and
understanding are power, and it helps to hear from others.

My father, 62, was recently diagnosed as probably having PD.  For more
than 20 years he has had a benign tremor, but the shaking got worse in
the last year, and his neurologist is leaning toward id of the
onset of PD.  This is all very new to me and my brother and sister, and
at this stage we are trying to learn more about how it might affect him,
while still trying not to get caught up in gloomy predictions.

If you all would like to comment, I have two queries:

First, as my father described to me, based on what his neurologist told
him, there may be two forms of PD: one more mild than the other.  In other
words, what I've been told is that although the condition tends to be
progressive, the prognosis will be better for one type of PD than the
other.  Is there any basis for this?  Or is PD expressed more as a broad
range of symptoms?

My second concern is less well defined.  It centers on the issue that my
father is not always so communicative.  Sometimes it is difficult to
discuss sensitive issues with him, although lately, with this issue, he has
been very open.  Anyway, my brother and I have thought that perhaps we should
not let on to him that we are trying to learn as much as possible about
PD, that we are concerned about it.  This isn't coming across quite right,
but we don't want him to think that we view him as a victim, or that
we are focussing on it at the detriment of other aspects of our relation-
ship.  Since he might not discuss with us his concerns, we can't be
guaranteed that he might think we are fixating too much on "what might
happen" rather than "what is happening".  Any comments?

My own thoughts are to try and keep everything in perspective with how
it is affecting him now, with some thought for the future, and to be
as open as possible with him.  ... .

These thoughts aside for now, I should say that I am learning a great deaal
from the many messages sent to the listserver over the last several
months.  I encourage new members to check out the old messages by
using the listserver's get command.  An easier means, however, is to
ftp (or "fetch" or telnet) to vm.utcc.utoronto.ca /ANONYMOU.301.  I've
got several more hours of reading through the messages to catch up to
the present -- lots of useful, thought-provoking information.

Thanks again, and best regards,
Bill Manley