I smoked for 21 years, from ages 19 to 40.  I quit because my sons were
telling me it would kill be and them.  Well, I did quit from 3 packs a day to
"cold-turkey".  It worked, and I have not had a cig for 14 years.  BUT,I was
dignosed with PD at age 44 and I was diagnosed with asthma at age 42.  I am
paying for my sins.

In recent studies there has been a lower incidence of PD in the smoking crowd
than in the non-smoking crowd.  Some researchers believe that the reason
behind this is that smokers seldom reach the average age for PD.  Others belie

ve there is some theraputic value in nicotine.  A number of studies using the
nicotine patch have been or are being run.  Early indications are that there
is some theraputic value to nicotine.  But than the same can be said for
cafine, alcohol and gasoline.

Recently I read that my PD could have started at age 6 (this is using some
reg
ression formulas).  I also read that mild depression could be one of the
first symptoms of PD.  This tells me that I had symptoms all through my
smoking years and good old St. Nicotine was not giving me necessary protection

.  By the way, I still love the smell of cig. smoke and maybe once a year I
will actively search for a 7-11 to buy a pack of cig.  Thank goodness fot
time, as I have lost my desire to smoke by the time I found a store.

I told myself I would quit smoking when a pack cost 30 cents.  I quit when
they cost about 75 cents.  I think today a pack costs about $2.00.

You could quit smoking and almost afford to take Eldepryl !!!!!!

From an ex-smoker,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])