On Fri, 11 Nov 1994, MANLEY WILLIAM FREDERICK wrote:

> My second concern is less well defined.  It centers on the issue that my
> father is not always so communicative.  Sometimes it is difficult to
> discuss sensitive issues with him, although lately, with this issue, he has
> been very open...
> This isn't coming across quite right,
> but we don't want him to think that we view him as a victim, or that
> we are focussing on it at the detriment of other aspects of our relation-
> ship.  Since he might not discuss with us his concerns, we can't be
> guaranteed that he might think we are fixating too much on "what might
> happen" rather than "what is happening".  Any comments?

Dear Friends,
  I could use some help in dealing with a similar problem.  Dad is nearly
83 and has always been very reluctant to discuss health issues.... his
own or those of family members.  Lately in fact, he becomes quite easily
agitated and irritated in conversation on topics "close to home" including
questions (even casual ones) about his health.  He overreacts and then
withdraws for weeks at a time so that communication with him is all but
impossible.
  Dad shows all the main symptoms of PD and, I believe has taken or is
taking levadopa.  He had a paternal aunt with PD and his own father showed
significant hand tremors, as well.  We began to notice his
hand tremors about twelve to fifteen years ago followed by the gradual
addition of other symptoms.  Since I learned at one point several years
ago that he had a prescription for L-dopa and since I believed that he
would voluntarily visit a medical doctor when he needed to, I declined to
broach the subject of PD with him because I knew it would make him angry.
  In the last year, I have begun to notice other things that worry me....
mostly personality changes; unreasonable behavior; and unwarranted and
sudden explosive anger.  It has gotten so that I never know who I'm going
to meet when I phone Dad or when he visits.  He can be the most jovial of
companions at one visit and then behave very badly in a subsequent phone
call.  Is this what dementia is like?
  Finally, I am considering contacting Dad's family physician with my
concerns.  By doing this, will I be effectively asking the doctor to
breach confidentiality?  Has anyone else had a similar experience?  What
is the best way for me to approach this matter with the doctor so that I
won't offend him, but so that I can be sure that Dad is actually getting
the medical help that he needs?

Diane Rau