Regarding Diane's parent.  The symptoms presented could be those of
advancing PD; but, in all likelihood, they are symptoms of other
neurological illness.  Did the patient sustain any head trauma (the
possibility of a blood clot, or even a brain tumor, exists).  There are
also progressive neurological conditions (such as "normal pressure
communicating hydrocephalus") which can present in this way that are
treatable and it is important to "push" for further medical evaluation.

If you approach the doctor out of love and concern for your parent, I
don't think that there will be any problems about "confidentiality"
(after all, the doctor does not have to share *his* knowledge with you,
you are sharing with *him* or her); and the "bottom line" is getting
your parent the diagnostic tools that he needs.

I will relate an anecdote which was "drummed into our heads" during
training.  "Uncle Charlie" was 85 years old and "sharp as a tack".
Then, Charlie fell down the stairs and broke his hip.  The hip fracture
was fixed, but Charlie suddenly "became old"; and over some months,
deteriorated to the point that he had to be put into a nursing home,
where he died some months later.  At autopsy, a subdural hematoma (blood
clot on the brain) was found, a hematoma which Charlie sustained at the
time of the fall (the course can be quite chronic); and, a problem
which, had it been diagnosed, could have been surgically removed and
Charlie would have returned to "sharp as a tack" status.  Age means very
little.  *Any* personality change should be investigated carefully;
there are many treatable causes for such.

Please feel free to get back to me with the results of your efforts.  As
a physician, I would certainly *not* be offended if a relative took an
interest in one of my patients.

Best wishes,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"