Sometime ago, Jerry Finch wrote a letter to a friend.  Jerry is a writer and
has a wonderful way of expressing himself.  I published this letter sometime
ago, but would like to share it with you.

Dear Friend,

You haven't been by to see me in quite some time.  I wondered about what
happened.  Did I say something that offended you?  I started asking around.
 Word finally got back that you were uncomfortable around me because of the
Parkinson's thing.  That's why, instead of calling, I thought I might write
you a note.  Maybe I can explain a little better to you about the way I feel.
 The last time you came over, I was having a lot of physical problems.  Parkin
son's is like that; good for two days, bad for three.  Before you come, call.
 I'll tell you honestly if I'm up or down.  That way you know what to expect.
 But don't avoid me.  Inside, I am still the same person I always was.  I can
still beat you at chess, still out-talk you over religion and politics.  I
can still laugh at all your jokes, still feel sad when we talk about some of
our lost friends.  I'm still me.

Don't be afraid to talk about the things you see.  My hands shake, my walk is
unsteady.  I know that.  It isn't a secret.  I'll tell you about what I'm
going through, about the medications and stuff.  You need to know so you will
feel comfortable when you see something happen.  Parkinson's isn't
contagious, it isn't even life-threatening.  Chances are, I'll live just as
long as you, although I'm trying for one day longer, just to prove the point.

Just because I've accepted Parkinson's doesn't mean I've accepted defeat.
 I'm still fighting.  But the fighting would be so much easier if you were
around.  Why? Because we used to talk about everything and I miss that.  We
used to laugh at stupid stuff and I miss that.  We used to punch one another
in the arm, work on our cars together, tell lies, talk about kids - and I
miss all of that.  We used to get sad together, remembering the things in the
past.  We made a vow never to talk about those things outside of our
friendship and I need to talk about them with you.

I'm still the same.  Nothing inside has changed, only the outside.  That's
why you don't need to feel uncomfortable around me.  We've traveled too many
miles together to let something like Parkinson's come between us.  So I'm
asking you - call me.  Come visit.  Let's talk about today, tomorrow, ten
years from now, because the future will be so much richer if you're around,
and so much poorer without you.

I might have Parkinson's, but you snore.  So I'd say we all have problems.
 I've missed you.  As always, I'll be here for you, waiting for you to call.

                                                Sincerely,

                                                Your friend

Thanks to Jerry for opening his heart to us.  Jerry has PD also.  He can be
reached at [log in to unmask]  There are great writers out there.  Please use
your talent.

Regards,
Alan Bonander  [log in to unmask]