Recent discussions on this BB about PD & the family remind me of difficult
times around the dining room table in our family.  My father often had great
difficulty eating.  At times he could barely hold his fork or spoon. If he
was successful at capturing some of the food on his plate there was no
guarantee that it would reach his mouth.  This became a very tense family
experience as my mother would scold him out of frustration thus making
matters worse.  There are catalogs available that sell specialized utensils
to make eating easier.  One less expensive suggestion is to attach a tennis
ball on to the handle of a fork or spoon to provide better grip.  (My father
had difficulty closing his hand around a utensil handle or gripping it with
much strength).  Another helpful suggestion is to use heavier plates with
high walls.  This makes it easier to "load up" a fork.  Cutting up food into
small pieces helps as well.  When all else failed I would often feed may
father.  Some would find this embarrassing, especially at restaurants, but
his enjoyment of good food and the nourishment it provided was far more
important than appearances.  Curiously, he never seemed to have trouble
finishing a dish of chocolate ice cream!  Perhaps this would present an
interesting subject for research.
Ken Aidekman