You wrote:

>Hi everybody.
>
>Are "Italian broad beans" also called fava beans?  Someone once
>recommended them to us as well.  Hmmm...any bean experts out there?
>
>J.
>
>On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, Ronald F. Vetter wrote:
>
>> I do not have the reference but read that Italian broad beans have
several
>> hundred milligrams of l-dopa per serving.
>> Does there exist information on foods containing l-dopa?
>> Perhaps a university research project could investigate this
inexpensive
>> source of l-dopa in the beans specifically cited - and other foods.
>> Perhaps a grant could be obtained from the Deparartment of
Agriculture.
>> Does anyone have info relevant to this?

>> Ronald F. Vetter         <[log in to unmask]>
>> 2105 Camino el Canon
>> Ridgecrest, CA 93556-7656
>> 619/375-7364

Fava beans can be dangerous.  There is a small number of the population
which lacks an essential enzyme for metabolizing fava beans, and a
severe reaction, occasionally fatal, can result in those persons when
they consume fava beans.  The condition is called "favism" and is also
associated with a severe anemia (low blood count).  I don't know if the
"bread beans" mentioned in the post *are* actually fava beans, but if
they are, be careful!

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"