To those who missed it, here is a copy of Ken Aidekman's thoughts on
Parkinson's and heredity.

>Dear Dan,
>The reason that you have heard conflicting reports about the >hereditary
connection in Parkinson's is that there is no conclusive >evidence either
way.  It is a complex subject.  Dr. Roger DuVoisin >from Rutgers has studied
families with a high incidence of PD and >believes  that it is herditary and
caused by a dominant gene.  >However, some believe that he includes too many
Parkinson's-like >diseases in his definition.  DuVoisin believes that
Parkinson's is >part of a larger body of diseases which are characterized by
the >discovery of Lewy Bodies in the brain.  Other researchers have >found
that only 20% of persons with PD are from families with a >high incidence.
 One study suggests that if you have a family >member with PD you are 4 times
more likely to get it.  Parkinson's >also generally occurs late in life so
that even if you have the genes >that cause it, you may not get it before you
die from something >else.  No specific gene has neen found to associated with
PD, yet. >Many scientists are testing possible candidates, but although >some
gene locations have been found not to be related to PD, none >has been
positively correlated with higher incidence of PD.  Some >researchers believe
that PD may be caused by the interaction of >multiple genes.  Some believe PD
is caused by a combination of >genetic and environmental factors. For
instance a gene that >hampers the liver's ability to filter out certain
metals form the blood. >These metals ( aluminum, zinc, etc.) may accumulate
in the brain >and set in motion the process that causes PD.
>Obviously much research needs to be done, however it is apparent >that some
families have a much higher incidence of PD than others >in spite of
separations in geographical location.  Much more >research needs to be done
in this area.  My father had PD and his >father did as well, but no one else
has developed it in my family.  I >do know of a number of persons whose
families have >multi-generational PD.

Dan Fagin(IU No [log in to unmask])