I am new to the list and thank those who created and support it.  I also
have an interest in learning all that I can about current research results
- as well as conjectures guiding the researches. Id est, the known and
purported processes or mechanisms that have decreased or failed in those
exhibiting PD symptoms.  This also pertains to the uptake, transport,
transfer into the brain, and utilization of the drugs/medicine(s) taken.
Such information should allow support group discussions and educational
endeavors toward understanding what to expect to be more valid and perhaps
even collectively gain some further insight.  The coping with symptoms is
'easier' if one understands more of the process.  For instance, it seems
that l-dopa in the stomach as a pill first requires dissolving, but it may
be necessary for the 'solution' to pass on into the intestine before
absorption by 'amino acid transporter molecules' to take up the l-dopa
individual molecules into the bloodstream for the journey to the brain.
This part of the process seems optimum if little protein is in the stomach
with the l-dopa and if the stomach is then 'emptied' by ingestion of a
small meal with little complex protein (such as meat) and perhaps high bulk
and fiber content.  This provides less competition for the transporter
molecules in the bloodstream.
I will refrain from further examples for the sake of brevity.  I do think
that the PD support groups could help each other and the research community
via an establishment of a feedback loop interaction that would encourage
more knowledge of the details in patient's experiences and researcher's
results and trials.
I have not noted any support group inputs to the list during this first
month of reading the mail from the list.  If there is another list for
group activities or for researchers, I would appreciate info thereof.
Best wishes to all.

Ronald F. Vetter         <[log in to unmask]>
2105 Camino el Canon
Ridgecrest, CA 93556-7656
619/375-7364