On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, LAFRAMBOISE MARTINE wrote:

>  "Bonjour" everyone,
>
> Does anybody have information on music therapy dealing with people who
> cope with Parkinson's disease?  I would greatly appreciate your findings.
> "Merci beaucoup".>

Bonjour Martine
Je suis heureuse de voir votre question --

Robert Fink is correct. Mozart and Vivaldi are very good at getting a
Parkinsonian moving, but I  also like Handel  and all of the great
marches from opera to Sousa. If they are on a personal tape player you
don't disturb others.

Way back in 1989  a student OT at  Dalhousie, did her final year research
paper on Music and Parkinsons. Her name was Ms Nancy Salmon. I have no
idea where she might be now but the Dal library may have a copy.  I just
have a covering letter in my files.

You may find some interesting leads through Dr George Turnbull of the
Physiotherapy Dept. at Dalhousie. His recent book is very interesting but
I don't remember anything on music.

We use music with our  chapter exercise class (Moving to Music
....Government of Canada-Fitness and Amateur Sport).  It doesn't really
matter what the music is as long as it has a good driving beat.

Familiarity is an advantage as the immobile foot or arm  seems to be
triggered into the remembered  motion that 'goes' with a particular piece
of music.    (BTW our exercise leader did her MA Thesis on the Role of
Exercise  in the Management of Parkinson's)

When desperate I use music to get myself moving.  Sometimes I can only
move fingers and hands when I start but gradually I begin to unfreeze and
the toes begin to tap almost independently of will. I had one friend who
would run up and down the  stairs to get his meds to 'kick in' and
another who was seen and heard marching through a hotel  lobby to 'Onward
Christian Soldiers'.

This Parkinson's surely  is a strange condition.
Anne Rutherford
St John's NF