---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 10:51:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Jayne Butler <[log in to unmask]>
To: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Tom Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Researchers

Barbara,
        Thanks for the note. The issue raised is one that I am concerned
about. My own particular area of interest is as stated below. However, I
am also compiling summaries of the 25 best self-help mailing lists for a
doctor (Tom Ferguson) who lives in Texas. Tom is writing a book and has
asked me to include quotes from the list to give a flavour for typical
postings to the group. I will not include a posting from PARKINSN without
permission of the person who wrote the note. I do not have to include
PARKINSN in the 25 at all if that is the wish of the members of the list.
I certainly don't want to upset anyone. Frances raises a very important
issue and I hope I have clarified it.

        The whole area of ethics in research on the Internet is of growing
concern. I know of two Canadians researchers who are studying
this very area. If anyone would like to e-mail me their concerns rather
than clutter up the list with this topic I would be happy to hear about
it. Replies will help me understand the perspective of list members in an
area that I believe needs a lot of consideration. Replies will also help me
plan an ethical review for any future research I do related to my own
topic of interest. I will also forward a copy of this note to Tom.
        Thanks very much Barbara.
                Jayne