---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 18:25:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Karin M Beros <[log in to unmask]>
To: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Welcome

Dear Barbara:

Thanks for writing.  It's nice to find another University staffer with an
interest in Parkinsonism.  I'm sorry it's your diagnosis, but I have to
say I'm optimistic about the advances made in understanding use of the
drugs.

I am not the patient in our household.  My husband is a retired professor
of Political Science/Public Administration, who retired early because of
his PD.  We were diagnosed in 1984, just a decade ago.  We first noticed
the problem because of a persistent weakness and slight right-leg
tremor.  Sinemet made a great difference in energy levels and reducing
the shaking.  We have been through over-dependence on Sinemet, to a
period now when my husband's neurologist is trying to reduce the Sinemet
and rely more heavily on Permax.  The strategy seems to be working well
enough, because he has more consistent periods of being able to do things
without undue shaking, and before the stiffness of late evening takes over.

A recent newletter spoke of potential legislation to establish a national
council for PD that might have the capacity to encourage more research
funding on PD.  Are you aware of such efforts?  Is that central
government involvement in research in Canada?

Keep well.  Thanks for writing.  I appreciate hearing form you, and wish
you good luck.

k.

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                        [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies                  voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall           fax:    (510) 642-9466