 From the First Phase of Transplant Test in Canada

Encouraging results are reported in the fetal cell transplant tests
performed at  the Victoria General Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada.

The 5 severely affected Parkinson patients selected for the test
have been under observation for at least 3 years.  They  "are doing well,
they suffered no serious complications, and all experienced  a lessening
of severity of the symptoms and a decrease in the rate of the
deterioration "  said Dr Badley, president of the hospital.

The hospital plans to continue with the second phase of the experiment
and recently hired Dr Ivar Mendez, who studied  the technique at the
University of Lund in Sweden, to head the neural transplantation team.

The above is taken from a report on the front page of the  Dec 14th
Globe and Mail written by Kevin Cox. I'm sorry but I couldn't type the
whole report.

Anne Rutherford
St John's NF