Dear Rich:

My husband is the PD patient in our family.  The neurologist asks often
about confusion incident to increases in Sinemet and other medications,
especially bromocryptine (Permax).  He's never had any mental effects of
any of the medication, except for a single time when the Permax dosage
provided by the pharmacy was five times stronger than prescribed.  The
effect was frightening with palpitations and heavy sweating.  My husband
now takes Sinemet CR50/200 (2 daily) and Sincemet non-CR 25/100 (1
daily).  Permax has been increased slowly from .05mg 3 times a day to .75
3 times a day, a regimen that seems to smooth out the day much better
than a heavier reliance on Sinemet with its dramatic highs and lows.

To answer in a circuitous way your original question, my husband has not
had mental distortions from the medications, but seems to be quite
sensitive to Permax.  Is your father taking Permax or another form of
bromocryptine?  I understand it's very strong stuff.

k.

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                        [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies                  voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall           fax:    (510) 642-9466