On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, H. M. Laswi wrote:

> Dear Gaston,
>
> My father has was diagnosed with PD back in 1984.  He is in a very bad shape
> at this point.  He still is capable though of walking around at a "90 degree
> back" angle.  He can only speak for a few minutes a day.  He is determined to
> "conitnue his memoirs" while he still could.  He has an electrical type
> write.  He tends to use the back of a pen to punch the chracters on the key
> board.  He has had no problems with forgetting things.  His blood pressure is
> normal to low.  He has in fact developed better memorization capabilities
> since he got the disease!  He tends to remember much more old friends and
> people from the past than my mother who is perfectly healthy and 10 years
> youger than he is.  My father is now 66.
>
> I read something in you article about Sinemet CR.  How is this different from
> Sinemet?  My father has been on the follwoing medications: Sinemet, Parlodel,
> Diprenyl, Astonin.  Daily total dosage is: 6 Sinemet, 2 Parlodel, 1 Diprenyl,
> 1/2 Astonin plus antiacid tablets with each dose.  Is this where  you are at?
>  What is "Slow Release Sinemet"?  I am interested in seeing if this is a
> feasible alternative for my father.
>
> Please give me some feedback. I am [log in to unmask]
>
> H. Laswi (San Jose, California)

Sinemet CR is indeed "Slow-release" Sinemet. I find that using it has
largely eliminated the severe diskinesia (chorea) I used to experience,
especially in my legs. The drawback is that my "on" periods seem shorter
and less well-defined than they were on regular Sinemet. On the whole,
however, I am reasonably satisfied with having switched to CR.

Gaston L. Schmir