> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 14:48:08 -0500 (EST)
> From: Janet Dillender <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: PD and Hallucinations
>
> ...  My mother-in-law has PD and it seems to
> be progressing rapidly now.  The hard part is that we live in different
> states, so we get info somewhat "second hand."  My question is in regard to
> hallucinations.  ...  She sees people that aren't there,
> in particular a little girl.  She gets upset with people who "leave the
> little girl out in the car," ...  Is this common with PD?  Medication?
Jan,
My dad in Ft Worth, TX, had severe hallucination problems which abated
after the Dr terminated the Eldepryl. It had been very worrisome to me as
I heard about it via phone to FL, because I could tell my Mom, the
primary caregiver, was so scared about what tomorrow might bring. I
called every day thru the bad weeks and it seemed to help all of us to
have _extra_ communication going. Everybody's chemistry is a little
different, so I can only say that Eldepryl was the culprit with my dad.
He had been taking Eldepryl for a while, but had then introduced Permax
and I guess he couldn't stand the combination. He has since been more
specifically diagnosed with Shy-Drager which means that he can't
necessarily count on auto functions (like breathing when your asleep). He
has also had very physical reactions to his dreams for many years (a
topic that has just recently surfaced on PARKINSN recently).
The bottom line is that the hallucinations may subside when reaching a
better balance of the medications. I, too, will be visiting my ill parent
in a couple of weeks. Good luck. (Isn't this a terrific resource?!!!)

John DeGelleke ([log in to unmask])
Palm Harbor, FL