Dear Rita,

Thankyou for sharing your exercise experiences with me.You are doing a
super job at keeping active and I wish more people had your attitude
and energy! I would like to give you some feedback on your swimming training and
 then address
some of the other interesting points you made.

I was a competitive swimmer in Germany for 8 years. Now I teach
swimming and aerobic dance at Florida State University. You say you have never
 been able
to increase your time in the water. If you are swimming one stroke
continuously the muscles you are using will fatigue rapidly. Try
alternating lap-to-lap from one stroke to another.You will definately
feel less fatigued. Fatigue in swimming
is also caused by an inefficient stroke technique. A good book to read
about stroke technique can be ordered from your local American Red
Cross Chapter.Until then, you may want to try this:
Instead of using your legs and your arms in the water,
try using arms only and use a floatation device for the legs (this is
called a "pull-boy"). Your left leg is causing a lot of drag in the
water. This drag will definately slow you down and it also keeps you
from being streamlined. Your best alternative is to use a pull-boy
when swimming the freestyle or backstroke and to work on making the
upper body stroke more efficient.

If you always train the same way, you will find it difficult to change your time
 in the water. The body
responds best to things which are new and unusual. Your body has
adapted to the stress that you are putting on it and it will not
change until you modify your routine. Another way to increase training
time is by changing your workout intensity. You can do this by
swimming multiple laps and then resting for a short period of time
and then swimming multiple laps again. There is much more of this in
the American Red Cross Book. The key is to change your training once
the body no longer responds favorably to the stimulus.

You mention that you tried Nautilus (wonderful machine)  but are weak on your
 right side.
If you train your left side only, your right side will also benefit in
terms of strength. You can train unilaterally on many Nautilus
machines. Your leg muscles need strengthening, and if you can only do
one side then this is better than nothing. Swimming will not increase
the strength in your leg muscles the way weight training will. I do
not know if swimming training can help with balance.I'm also using Nautilus in
 my dissertation.

I hope that you will alllow me to disagree with you concerning the
what you said about the therapeutic effects of exercise, its ability to enhance
 a persons life
and to reduce the degree of their disability. I believe that you may
be underestimating the benefit of exercise in helping you to overcome
your "condition".

I believe that exercise can significantly help a person overcome their
 disability.
It makes persons more independent and autonomous and they must rely
less on others for help maintaining their quality of life. This is not
an opinion, but a statement based on a growing body of scientific and
clinical evidence. Here are some ideas which you may allready be
familiar with and what we know from the literature: Persons who are fallers and
 have PD can be trained
to reduce the odds of falling, can be trained to improve their reaction
time, can be trained to improve their strength and cardiovascular
endurance, can be trained to speak like "healthy" adults through
speech therapy etc etc. The less disabled a person appears in the eyes
of others, the less disabled that person will actually become in their
own eyes and also in the eyes of society. Off course this can't happen
overnight. There is a great deal of information on the benefits of
exercise for PD. We are constantly learning new things. It is an
exciting field isn't it?

Maybe it is true that exercise cannot STOP a degenerative disease. We
won't know that until we have studied the long-term effects of
regular exercise in persons from a time of health to disease onset.

Exercise can delay the onset and slow the progression of certain
diseases.For example,  this has been shown in studies conducted with Alzheimers
 and in my opinion it will
also hold true for Parkinson's disease. I believe that a person who
exercises on a regular basis could end up requiring less medication as the brain
 starts
to sprout new dendritic connections. This is such a "young" field. But
we are allready seeing very positive exercise results for PD.

You say that exercise has not stopped your degenerative process. But
can you say that, with confidence, it has not slowed the progression? The longer
 you can
hang on to what you have left in the way of strength, endurance,
flexibility, and dopamine producing neurons, the less disabled you will be.
Keep up the good work. Swimming is a wonderful activity, one that will
enhance your quality of life for years to come.

--
Sincerely, Mark Hirsch ([log in to unmask])

PS Let me know how the swimming works out for you.