Hello, all.  I am John Argue, a teacher of movement and voice for people
with Parkinson's Disease.  I have been doing this work for 11 years now.
I work in my home studio in Albany, California, with small classes (no
more than eight people at a time) that meet once a week.  My background
is in theatre, so my exercises are drawn from actor training.  I am also
a professional actor.

I have been reading this list for several months (that's called lurking,
I'm afraid) to improve my education re: PD and to keep an eye out for
information that might prove useful to my students.  Perhaps now I can
give back a little from time to time.

Re: Swallowing and Speaking difficulties -- Try Yawning.

My students have found that (of all things!) YAWNING is very helpful in
stretching and opening the throat, promoting full breathing, and preparing
the voice for full mobilization.  Yawning is the first thing I teach
student actors in voice class.  You can invite yourself to yawn by
breathing a big breath in through your mouth, and just pretending to yawn
two or three time.  Then, lo and behold, a real yawn happens!  Then
another and often another, etc.  Let yourself have all these yawns, and
begin to vocalize while yawning (you will maybe sound like an elephant
seal on a sunny beach, but who cares?).  Do this several times a day, (its
fun to do with friends who are in on the sport; yawns are contagious,
remember) and you will find a gradual improvement in swallowing and
in speaking.

Happy New Year to all.  (Yawn)
Who can make a smiley that means a big yawn?

John Argue - 613 Cornell Ave, Albany, CA 94706 - (510)524-5105