To:  Rachel Maegraith

1) I have not heard of the use of acupuncture for dyskinesia.  It is usually
used to relax muscles.  People I know who have used it consider it similar to
physical therapy -- one needs to have it done frequently as it has no staying
power.

2) Remission is not a word used to describe a period in the progression of
PD.   I wish it was.  For me, remission happens when I am able to properly
control the symptoms.  This happens when the medications work the way the
neurologist says they should, stress is at a low point, you have had a good
nights rest and you are enjoying friends and family. I should also add, that
one has had proper exercise.

3) The dreaded dyskinesia -- you reference Sinemet as the cause.  It is more
likely to be Permax.  Dyskinesia is the #1 adverse side effect of Permax.
 Here are some thoughts on Permax.

a. Starting Permax takes a few weeks of build-up using the 0.05 mg (white)
pills.  As the build-up progresses, I have used the rule of reduce one
Sinemet 25/100 (yellow) for every .25 mg of Permax.

b.  If the reason one is put on Permax is to better control dyskinesia, then
reduction in Sinemet is needed immediately.

c.  Sinemet has a half life of about 90 minutes.  Permax has a half life of
about 9 hours.  This just says it is more important to take the drugs with lon
g half lifes;  thus never skip your Permax pill.  It is more important then
the Sinemet.

d. Another possibility is to chart a few days showing food, medications and
response on a 1/2 hour schedule.  This will pinpoint the problem times and
possible causes.

e.  If pill therapy is unable to control dyskinesia, then there are the
following options:  liquid sinemet, pallidotomy, wear blue glasses, not
necessarily in that order.

Regards,
Alan Bonander  ([log in to unmask])