        Now we know that private sector managed health care has One additional
slice of the pie (called profit) it hands out that the socialized med. plans
don't have (Investors/shareholders).  Unlike your thoughts, IMHO folks
should be considering  socialized medicine and not individual
Practitioner/client relationship as in the past or the HMO/managed care
contracts. As to California not yet coming on stream ...well they all have
that "litigation lust" that keeps practitioner malpractice insurance rates
sky high so thats to be expected.

        Consider this: What are the anesthesia risks for an 80 year old ? How many
others have to check their wallets before they take care of those little
pains and problems that are the minor initial symptoms of something far
worse that could have been detected and prevented with early diagnosis. It
could cause financial ruin for the uncovered, or partially covered patient
and I'm SURE the thought occurs to them in making the decision on treatment.
I do agree that if the plan was headed up by a CEO that makes $57 mil in a
year  that skimped on treatment approval should be banished from the
country. But how do you control profits? Either it's government controlled
(which is one step away from socialized) or the Health Care shopper is going
to switch brands once the numbers are disclosed.

        My son was born in Tennessee and I had one of the  5 best competitive
premium to benefit plans. There were some complications in the birth and the
cost for his 9 days of hospital care ran over $18,000. Oh we had the finest
and the best with an intern beside every bassinet in the Neonatal care unit
and a Nurse and Pediatrician and almost a duplicate assortment of equipment
that a hospital has all in the ambulance called "The Angel" (for Vanderbilt
U. Hosp.) Anyway the bottom line for that week for me STILL cost  $2,800 out
of pocket. And we got a free Car seat, a steak and wine dinner in my wife's
room and a few other freebie's hidden into that $2,800 the insurance plan
wouldn't cover.  On another occassion in the U.S.,I required treatment and
hospitalization and OHIP (Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan) covered, up to
what they would pay for the care in Canada  and in ALL categories it was
higher which I had to pay since I didn't get my Blue Cross travellers
insurance.. But the costs were as much ad 50% higher on some items (like lab
work) even with the exchange calculated in.

        The Canadian plan isn't perfect, but it is definitely more compasionate and
socially responsible for its  people than in the U.S   The only time I have
to pay is if I wanted cosmetic surgery. There are a few other minor items
none of which are deemed a medical necessity (ie. an absessed tooth
extraction is a qualifying treatment whereas getting fillings or repairs is
not). and thus don't think twice to get a problem checked. Kind of like the
HMO concept  except we call our premium taxes.(And don't have those
outragious CEO salaries and dividends to the shareholders). Yes private
sector profit driven site will find efficencies that a government run might
not handle so well, but even with all that considered the cost per treatment
or incident as an average are still much  higher thanks to that nice PROFIT
slice.

        Now I don't know about you but there is a VERY LARGE part of American
population that might find $2,800 a significant  financial burden. And
that's nothing compared to some chronic care things that could result from
disease or accident. After moving back to Canada I can honestly say a MAJOR
burden was lifted. You're rolling the dice every day down in the U.S. hoping
you come up lucky and no one gets sick or hurt in the family. You won't see
homes getting mortgaged, cars repossessed, bankruptcies declared DUE TO
MEDICAL EXPENSES. Considering how much financial related anxiety affects
most of our lives, attitudes and generally peace of mind, I'd say we can be
a lot more relaxed and thankful in Canada.

        I know that excluding certain critical care for a part of the population
sounds cruel and nasty but why not look at the TOTAL picture and discuss
mortality rates, longevity stats, ratio of critical care to primary care. As
to the older folks and shutting down beds.....thats a wise management move
AND a preferred patient option IMO,  for convalescent and geriatric care, I
think you'll find most elderly patients would PREFER to get care at home
than to stay in a foreign unknown hotel called a hospital.  In Canada we
have the VON and a number of private home care services.

        Now no doubt y'all have a political and financial interest in the outcome
that has bias toward a practitioner. Socialized would get rid of the highly
overpaid CEO's as well as (God Forbid) possibly put  controls on the
practitioners and treatment options.

        I dare say that there are more "management" decisions that boil down to not
just what's best for the patient but what the hospital thinks is a good
financial risk. How many of those non critical but important corrective
surgeries  are not considered for the children of parents who earn too much
to qualify for Medicaid and too little to afford  any significant
treatments/surgery. Hell being a father, I'd never think twice to do what
the kids need, but are all parents so free from finanical considerations in
their decisions? My kids come first, but then what happens to our quality of
life trying to pay off those unplanned or unaffordable medical bills. I'm
thankful I don't have to plan/budget my family's health care.

     Oh that dog story was cute. The whole perspective reminds me of one of
the threads in the Depression list, "depressive realism". Whose perspective
here is closest to a correct balance or norm?

Vic Jasin - [log in to unmask]
"iki pasirasymo"