To try and answer Katherine's question about U of Winnipeg's writing
program:  yes, in a way we try to teach writing both from a "remedial"
and an interdisciplinary standpoint.  For a number of years, the writing
program emphasized first-year, introductory comp., and ESL courses.
About two years ago, writing program faculty began setting up "linked
courses" with other disciplines, meaning that the course was still a
rhetoric/comp course, but the subject-matter would tie strongly into
a particular course in another discipline, such as history or philsophy.
In a couple of cases, the writing instructor team-taught the course with
the other instructor.  Starting in 1995, we'll be offering "Academic
Writing" (our new name for first-year and introductory comp.), but we're
now creating three different emphases for this course:  humanities, social
sciences, and natural sciences.  So the readings and types of assignments
will correspond to these disciplinary areas.  And we're planning to expand
the number and variety of "linked courses."

Currently, only students who score below 80% in high school English (and
there may be 1 or 2 other restrictions there too, but I don't have that
info. with me) are required to take Academic Writing.  "Remedial" students
who need extensive help will be streamed into our Continuing Ed. university
prep course before they can take Academic Writing (UBC has a similar set-up
with its Writing Centre, which seems to work very well).  I would personally
like to see _all_ students being required to take at least 3 cr hrs of
writing in order to graduate, but there are various logistical problems
(not to mention cost problems!) which would make that difficult to implement.

But we're excited by the potential of the linked courses, which we are
planning to make available at first-year and upper levels.  While related
to WAC, these courses aren't "writing intensive" but actual writing courses
taught by rhet/comp faculty, with a content geared to a particular discipline.
It's still early days, but so far, there is a lively interest on the part of
faculty and students to have more links; we are also lucky to have the
support of our dean!

Cheers, Amanda
Amanda Goldrick-Jones, Writing Program
University of Winnipeg  ([log in to unmask])
30 BELOW AND COUNTING. . .!