    Jeez, I can't resist the subject line.  Been thinking about this,
and getting more confused, for a quarter of a century.
    So.  I think Rick's absolutely right that it's nothing more or
less than a rhetorical problem.  But I'm not so sure about this:
> The preceding, of course, becomes particularly important once
> students learn that more than direct quotations requires
> referencing.
    . . . because I'm not so sure it's (what all of us were taught to
think of it as) primarily a _moral_ problem.  Morality is what I hear
in "requires."  I know, I know, there's all this stuff about
ownership and credit . . . but by and large, that's not what's at
stake when I decide to cite, or quote, Rick's article on "literacy
crises."  The rhetorical move there is more like, "Look, this isn't
just my looney idea -- Rick Coe, a published writer, says this too."

    Another problem starts with this (with which I totally agree):
>                                                 Of course,
> students often don't have much sense of the discourse community they
> are nominally addressing in academic papers, so they will have
> difficulty deciding what needs to be referenced.
    This is, of course, because there _is no_ discourse community
they're addressing in those papers.  My difficulty, then is with
this next sentence:
>                                               But we can, at
> least, make sure they understand the rhetorical nature of the problem
> so that, as they read and research, they can try to get a sense of
> what the particular discourse community considers common knowledge.
    If it were so straightforward I wouldn't have all these problems.
But it isn't enough to "make sure they understand" to _tell them_,
especially if there isn't a real discourse community, but only a
writing teacher trying to synthesize one; and in fact the only way I
can think of to make sure they understand is to _put_ them into a
discourse community.  But this is a problem I've been wrestling with
for a decade now.

                                    -- Russ

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_   Learning and Teaching
Department of English      )_ __)_|_)__ __)     Development Office
St. Thomas University        |  )____) |   EMAIL:[log in to unmask]
Fredericton, New Brunswick___|____|____|____/  FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          \                / PHONE: (506) 452-0644