Another question about drama characters I'm afraid, but the previous one
attracted some interesting responses:

Can anyone think of an example in, say, pre-Restoration drama where Author A
invents a fictional character in a play, and then Author B steals that
character and redeploys him/her in a new context?  I'm not bothered here
about three rival versions of someone historical like Julius Caesar,
or about authors adapting non-drama works like the Faerie Queene: but simply
appropriating individual characters.

So far the only examples I have found are DekkSATIROMASTIX which explicitlytly
remakes Captain Tucca from POETASTER, and possibly Field's AMENDS FOR LADIES
which steals and recolours the (admittedly not entirely fictional) Moll
Cutpurse from THE ROARING GIRL.

Any other parallels or suggestions about relevant criticism are gladly
received, either to the list or to me ([log in to unmask]).

All the best,

Matthew Steggle
Trinity College Oxford
ENGLAND.