I am a born and bred Canadian - Cornerbrook NFld (hello PouchCove) - who got
her degree in Nursing at UVA and midwifery certificate from Frontier Nursing
Service in KY - worked in the public health sector most of my working years -
married an American lawyer whose specialty is bankruptcy.  The rest of my
family and all my old friends live in Canada.  I want to go back when we
retire.  Guess why.  Because I am lonely and not one of my relatives or
friends want to move to the states because of the lousy medical system here
that ignores 35 million Americans who are not "covered" by insurance because
they can't afford it or don't "qualify" because of a preexisting condition.
 Think about that!  Or think about the people who use all their savings to
pay medical bills and end up in the bankruptcy court.  The national health
programme in Canada may not be perfect as the US health insurance companies
like to point out in their very dishonest ads, but I don't hear anything
negative from my relatives and friends who think they are lucky to live in a
kinder, saner country where not one has had to sell their car or house, or
end up bankrupt because of medical bills.  And that's it.  Period.
(P.S.  I haven't had a good argument on this for two years - with Rick
Bucanan on the APDA bb.  Where are you Rick?  We could heat it up with our
point and counterpoint, eh?)
Barbara Yacos, RN