To: Brian Elliot

It is my opinion that memory problems are automatically assumed to be
Alhzheimer's in senior citizens.  I think more and more will be changed to PD
and not because of any increase in dementia amoung PD patients, but because
when we are not on the proper medication, our mential facilities decrease.

When I am properly medicated not only do my motor functions work reasonably
well, but my mental functions are also working well.  I am able to argue a
point, play games requireing concentration, etc.

Remove me from my meds for 2 or 3 hours and not only are my motor functions
slowed but so are my mental functions.  It takes all my mental power to
motivate me to get out of an easy chair.  I am so consumed with my physical
and mental state that my ability to communicate is severely impaired.  My
talk may be slow and monitone, my hearing misses most of the first few words
spoken and I just automatically respond with "What?"  Mentally I am a wreak.

Now when I was first diagnosed, I was slow physically, but I also think I was
slowing mentally.  My diagnosis was based on movement not on mental agility.
 As I talk to more senior citizen who have been recently diagnosed, they tell
me about how the medications not only put Spring in their walk, it made them
more extraverted.

Undermedication of PD in our senior citizen, to me, is a crime.  It is
robbing them of everything they have lived for.  Now I know there is always
concern for complications with the aging process.  Raising the medicine level
can cause complications.

For the rest of us, my opinion is to medicate at or near the optimal.  Recent
reports are saying that the amount of levodopa consumed is not a predictor of
start of ON/OFF flucations.  What is being reported is potentail atrophy to
the brain from long periods of undermedicaton and overmedication.  If a
researcher would evaluate the MRI scans of pallidotomy patients and try to
 correlate brain atrophy to age and medication levels I think much might be
learned.

For thos of you who are proponents of undemedication on the assumption that
this will delay ON/OFF problems, here are some things to think about:

1.  Are you totally engrossed in your PD that it is the only thing you talk
about or want to talk about?

2.  Do you find yourself complaining about slowness and how difficult every
is.

3.  Do people avoid you leaving only other undermedicated patents to talk to
and they are boring?

Well, this is only my optinion and I am not a doctor of anything.  But the
next neurologist who tells me they tell their patients it is better to be
undermedicated because it will delay the ON/OFF problems, I will suggest their
 patients do the same with his/her fee.

That is my pillbox for the day.  By the way, over medication does the same as
undermedication.

Regards,
Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])