On Thu, 12 Jan 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> To Pallidotomy or not to Pallidotomy; That is the question  ...and the rub.
> A lot of people swear by the procedure, and will tell you it is the only way
> to go. But before we all start cashing in our Bonds for tickets to Loma Linda
> or Sweden, why don't we take a closer look at this procedure with a more
> pragmatic and less emotional viewpoint ...similar  to what Mr. Devor of
> Israel tried to do (more on this later).  Here are some published facts:
much deleted...

1. all pallidotomies done before dr laitenen revived the procedure in the 80's
made the lesion in a different location than is done today. As such there
is no basis for comparison.
2. modern stereotactic surgery is MUCH more precise that that in the '30s
3. I have read everything published on the modern pallidotomy in peer
reviewed journals (from medline) and the procedure seems to remain
effective over the course of the studies (a few years in the longest) in the
vast majority of cases and to have minimal side effects.
Anecdotal comments and statements from mud-phuds are really just hearsay.
seth ness