About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with PD although I have had symptoms
for about 6 months-- tremors and some lack of flexibility in my right
hand.  So far nothing intolerable or more than mildly disturbing.

My questions to those in later stages are many.

1) Is there any reason to start medication at this stage.  My
predilection is to take nothing til I need it and it is likely to do
good.  My doctor prescribed Sinemet 25/100, half a tablet twice a day
which I found unnoticeable. Moreover my reading suggested that L-Dopa is
not good for prolonged use and would be better saved for later.  He then
put me on amantadine (?) 3 capsules a day.  Noticed nothing.  Then my
physician and I agreed to try a few weeks of nothing.  So far I may even
feel better!!  So, is nothing the right dosage for now?  And how do I
know the cross-over point?

2)  The literature on PD is pretty pessimistic sounding.  My doctor seems
to think I've got 20 good years ahead (I'm 60 now).  How gradual is the
deteriation likely to be.  Obviously it differs among cases, but what are
the probabilities?

3)  Since I'm 15 miles from Bethesda, I've called NIH about participating
in clinical trials.  Anybody have ideas on the likely payoff/problems of
being a guinea pig?

I'll shut up at this point.  Hope to be a useful contributor to this list.

Victor K Heyman
Heyman Mailing Service
5609 Fishers Lane #3B
Rockville, MD 20852