Alan Bonander recently wrote "If a researcher would evaluate the MRI scans
of pallidotomy patients and try to correlate brain atrophy to age and
medication levels I think much might be learned."

I recently read a pamphlet titled 'Victory over Parkinson's Disease in
Sight' edited by Robert L. Mathews and dated August 1994.  This is
subtitled 'An Update from the Loma Linda Clinical Neurosciences Institute,
A Major Specialized Center for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Parkinson's
Disease'.  Dr Robert Iacono is the group leader.  I will type only a few
sentences from the document.  PD patients have a greatly reduced flow of
blood to the brain ....As soon as the morning after pallidotomy surgery,
SPECT scans show greatly increased blood flow... dramatic improvement in
frontal lobe function by increased blood flow and metabolism; possibly
impacting depression, motivation ... conjectures that stopping the
hyperactive phenomena in the PD brain may allow circulation to return to
normal.

I am curious whether Alan read this pamphflet .. or has other information
re pallidotomy.  Excellent results are claimed for pallidotomy.

I too have conjectured how lesioning (or electrical stimulation) can affect
the brain functioning that is abnormal in PD.  The video documentaries of
brain functioning show chemical and electrical signals pulsing through
complex networks.  Multiple inputs cause modulated outputs with some
'control cells' having greater influence.  Signals from some neural cells
are inhibitory ... stop the normal output from occurring.
Is there a connection - correlation - analogy - of the neural network
suppression of motor messages during rem sleep ... to the akinetic (frozen)
state of PD?
The pallidotomy may be effective via removing the inhibiting of the
'sleeping inactivity factor' that may be the major part of PD.  The
conjecture is that hyperactivity of the neural retarder is occurring while
we are awake.  Our motor control is abnormal because the circuitry is at
least partly set as it is during rem sleep while we are awake.
Reduced mentation is resultant from the retarded frontal lobe activity.
The increased blood flow apparently correlates with the feelings of
well-being and self esteem and relief from the 'depressed state of low
frontal lobe activity' which becomes clinical depression in the extreme.
Manic-depressive has been my personality type if I make a choice of the
types in the psychology books.  I believe I was told or read that manic
might correlate to hyper-endorphinated and depression to
hypo-endorphinated.  Maybe these could be hyper-serotonin in the frontal
and hypo- for the depressive.
Does the personality type correlate for others of you with PD?  Has your
mood typically been up or down?  Are you hyperactive .. maybe euphoric ...
seeking peak experience - or else doing little and being withdrawn?  The
cycles may be brief or last days or weeks or months.

Ron         <[log in to unmask]>     Ronald F. Vetter
2105 S. Camino el Canon, Ridgecrest, CA 93556-7656  619/375-7263
"I,d like to know what this whole show is all about before it's out" Piet
Hein