I would like to offer a few comments on dementia a topic which has been
mentioned quite a bit as of late. Likw PD it is difficult to measure and
define.  It is detected as a result of a clinical impression or
self-assessment.  Searching for a way to define it in my opinion should be
left to neuro-psychologists.  What is important I believe is that certain
types of mental impairment can be impacted positively via the use of visual
cues. If a PD subject's cognitive skills seem to vary with his on/off states
and especially if his off states result in gait problems, he should be
assessed for his response to visual cues.  Here's one way; Get a deck of cards
and arrange them in a line with the first card at the toes of the subject.
Each subsequent card should be equal to or slightly greater than the
subject's normal stride length.  The subject should then walk by landing each
stride midway between each card.  Listen to the subject speak while walking
over the cues, engage him in conversation, encourage self-assessment and see
what you get. IF you note  improvement be encouraged because "reversable"
dementia is fundamentally different from senile dementia.  If dementia seems
to be present while medicated I would suggest one additionl test. Have the
subject carefully gaze into a bright white light (halogen). If you note a
similar improvement I would speculate that this person would benefit from
either an increase in l-dopa or potentiating the current level.
In pd subjects with gait problems visual cues can normalize gait and many
other problems (simian posture,stiffness, mask face, voice volume etc).If
severely akinetic, the initial card should be replaced by 3 or 4 cards
spanning from the toe of one foot accross to the toe of the other. Use of such
visual cues will very effectively suppress dyskinetic gait and speech.
feedback encouraged.

RE:BLUE FILTERS; I have also seen a number of inquiries re blue filters.  This
descovery also came out of my work with visual cues...I thought I had already
posted a message re info on this subsject but I'll repeat it soon.

best wishes
tom