Date: Sun,  8 Jan 95 21:30:24 PST
From: [log in to unmask] (Irving Williams)
To: [log in to unmask]

There is a Doctor (Lauri Laitinen) in Sweden who has resumed performing this
procedure, which had been introduced in 1965, but had fallen into disfavor. The
record as of March 1994 was 287 procedures completed, with improvement in about
90% of the patients of the symptoms of hypokinesia, rigidity, tremor and L-Dopa
induced involuntary movements with muscular pain.
The procedure is to electrically create a heat lesion in the precise location of
the pallidum that will interrupt the pathways which allow these symptoms to
occur.
My wife suffers from an additional symptom of a burning sensation which travels
to different parts of the body, as well as some dementia which our doctor says
is most likely caused by the dopamine.
I would like to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of this procedure, and
specifically if it would alleviate the burning and the dementia.
I can also be reached on America On Line: [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Irving Williams