Cheryl and Michael,
There may have been more on this subject on the list but I found this recent
posting about the effect of estrogen; it may be that the estrogen your mother
is taking is having a negative effect. I don't know any more than what it says
here though - in my case it is my father who has PD so the question of estrogen
isn't so relevant.
You'll find this list a great source of support as well as information - I
hope you manage to find some information to help your mother and to relieve
your worries.
Katie Moore
International Union of Crystallography, Chester, England

- -- [ From: Donna Kipp * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Sessio DR: Pearlstone MM, Jewelewicz R; Kelly A C
Estrogens and Parkinson's disease
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology,
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, New York 10032
Med Hypotheses 1994 Apr,42(4):280-2
Unique Identifier: SDILINE 94352251

There  is substantial evidence that estrogens modulate the activity of
dopamine in the extrapyramidal system. However there is conflicting
data as to the exact mechanism of estrogen's effect. The majority of
clinicians reports support  an antidopaminergic effect of estrogens on
Parkinson's symptoms. Generally, Parkinsonism worsens with estrogen
therapy. We report a case of improvement in Parkinsonian symptoms in a
premenopausal patient when put in leuprolide acetate. The pharmacologic
menopause induced by leuprolide acetate leads to a hypoestrogenic
state. We hypothesize that the decrease in estrogen improves
Parkinson's disease symptoms via relief of its antidopaminergic effects
on the nigrostriatal pathway.

The address for  the newsletter is:

 The Young Parkinson's Information and Referral Center 1042 Foxenwoods
Dr, Santa Maria CA 93455