Judy Annesley

I hope you will find the following information helpful.  Dr. Iacono's telephone
is 909-796-4822.
I trIed to send you this info to INTERNET:[log in to unmask], but I got a message
saying that was an undeliverable address so I will post this on the Parkinsons
Digest even though it has been posted before others may find it helpful.

A Parkinson Pallidotomy Primer
compiled & summarized
by Don Berns
 January 11, 1995

BRIEF HISTORY
Globus Pallidus
Years ago observant doctors noted that Parkinson patients who had a stroke in a
particular area of the brain experienced some relief from their symptoms.
Animal Model
With the serendipitous discovery  and identification of MPTP (Dr Langston, San
Jose, CA early 1980's) as a parkinsonian inducing chemical, research scientists
had the means for creating a parkinsonian animal model.
Research
Through pursuant studies researchers noted that one of the critical
abnormalities in animal models of Parkinson's disease is an increased amount of
electrical activity in the globus pallidus of the brain.  By cutting the
pallidofugal fibers as they travel from the globus pallidus to the thalamus the
abnormal signal causing the signs and symptoms of Parkinson's disease is
short-circuited.
Explanation
To understand how a pallidotomy works think of the brain as containing a series
of interconnected electrical circuits.  In the parkinsonian one of these
circuits is overly active because there is not enough of the neurotransmitter
dopamine to regulate the electrical activity.  A lesion (small hole)is created
on the electrical pathway between the globus pallidus and the subthalamic
nucleus.  Thus, using this metaphor, the overly active circuit is cut.

THE PROCEDURE
Technique
Through a procedure technically known as a Postero-Ventral Pallidotomy, a probe
will be inserted into a very precise location of the globus pallidus
approximately four inches beneath the top of the head.  The patient remains
conscious under a local  anesthetic.  When the probe is in the correct position,
immediately adjacent to the optic nerve a small electrical charge will be
transmitted to the tip of the probe.
If the probe is too deep the patient will experience his/her very own fireworks
display and the probe will be slightly withdrawn.  When it is properly located
there will be a slight twitch in the cheek or tongue.  At that moment heat will
be generated to the probe tip and a small lesion will be created.
Explanation
A simplistic explanation is this procedure creates lesions of pallidofugal
fibers leaving the globus pallidus on the way to the thalamus.   Rough
Translation  - An overly active neuronal pathway which results in abnormal and
extra-kinetic movements, is severed.  Although the Pallidotomy is not a cure it
can eliminate many of the manifestations.  The results  are instantaneous and
appear to be long lasting.
History
Similar surgical procedures have been available since the early 1940's, however
refinement in surgical technique, increased knowledge, the development of a
parkinson induced animal model, and monumental advances in technology (CAT scans
and MRI's), now enable very precise identification and hitting of the target in
the globus pallidus.
        Dr Robert Iacono (Loma Linda University Medical Center) states, "The
beneficial effects of Postero-Ventral Pallidotomy on akinesia, postural
instability, stooped posture, freezing, on-off phenomenon as well as tremor,
rigidity, dystonia and dyskinesia are superior to the results reported for fetal
graft implantation, best pharmacologic results, or conventional stereotactic
procedures." 1
        Dr. Lauri Laitinen in Stockholm, Sweden, uses CAT scans for locating
target area. CAT scans are not as precise as MRI used by doctors in U.S.
        In 1952, Dr. Lars Leksell in Lund, Sweden began to perform anterodorsal
Pallidotomies, but the results were not satisfactory and he gradually moved his
target area to the Postero-Ventral part of the Pallidum.  In so doing Dr. Lars
Leksell moved the Pallidotomy outside the classic anterodorsal target area.
        Dr. Lars Leksell in addition to this pioneering work also is credited
with developing the first Gamma Knife.  The Gamma Knife creates the Pallidotomy
lesion by using high-powered focused radiation beams.
        Between 1985 and 1990 Dr. Lauri Laitinen & Associates tested Dr. Lars
Leksell's Pallidotomy procedure on 38 Parkinsonian patients, using stereotactic
Postero-Ventral procedures as opposed to Gamma Knife or anterodorsal classic
procedures.
        "Upon re-examination 2 to 71 months after surgery (mean 28 months)
complete or almost complete relief of rigidity and hypokinesia (slowness of
movement) was observed in 92% of the patients.  Of the 32 patients who before
surgery also suffered from tremor, 26 (81%) had complete or almost complete
relief of tremor.  The L-dopa induced dyskinesia and muscle pain had greatly
improved or disappeared in most patients, and gait and speech difficulties also
showed remarkable improvement."
"The positive effect of Postero-Ventral Pallidotomy is believed to be based on
the interruption of some striopallidal or subthalamopallidal pathways, which
results in disinhibition of medial pallidal activity necessary for movement
control." 2

COMMENTS BY THOSE WHO HAVE HAD PALLIDOTOMIES

Bill Dickinson: Fullerton, CA