> Mary Vanderkam
>We all agree that regular exercise is very beneficial to our
>condition. Are there any comments on that?

Just a brief comment on Mary's question about exercise.  Although exercise
cannot prevent the progression of PD, it can improve the quality of the
daily life. Not only is it important to maintain as much mobility an
flexibility as possible, it is also important to "exercise the nervous
system". Just like most physical things, the postural control system and
the sensory systems can be subject to problems of disuse.

Several recent studies have demonstrated the importance and influence of
general mobility and balance exercises for the improvement of balance. This
research  suggests that the neural systems utilized for balance and
mobility are enhanced simply by maintaining a moderate level of daily
exercise.

When a person walks, or performs exercises standing or in a swimming pool,
ect. not only the muscles are exercised. The visual system, the vestibular
system (inner ear for balance), the cognitive system (memory, ability to
count), and multiple sensory systems related to the body position are
stimulated.  If the exercise is done in a group setting or with a
companion, the exercise may also help reduce the effects of depression,
simply by stimulating human interaction.  I remember a comment from a man
who said that he was afraid tha his masked face and thin body may frighten
children. How unfortunate that he should feel that he has to hide away.
Perhaps, an exercise group is one way to provide some socialization.
Support groups promote discussion, but exercise can reduce the effects of
depression, can improve the circulatory system, reduce certain hormone
levels, reduce blood pressure, and help maintain overall mobility.

In my opinion, no single person should ever be left to perform "home
exercises" completely by themselves. Isolation sets one up for defeat.
Isn't it true that all of us are more consistent and more likely to succeed
when there is a group or some form of comradary that keeps us going each
day? Finding the exercise and the setting which are the most beneficial for
the individual is the first challenge. Some ideas may include walking
outside (often easier than in the confines of a house); stationary biking;
water exercises at a local pool with some supervision; ect....anything is
better than nothing. Each persons needs will be different.

Some thoughts to consider...
Anne