Dear Networkers:  Many thanks for the information on palladotomies these
past few days.  The Middle Tennessee Parkinson Support Goup met last Saturday
with the topic Pallidotomies and transplants.  The neurologist had prepared
very well with a history of the procedures with PD.  I was able to pass on
to him the David Devore followup survey.  One of our members had gone to
Loma Linda and came back with a video of Don Berns story of getting his
pallidotomy.  It was very helpful to have had all the activity on this
network as preparation.  He told us of the several centers doing the procedure
including Atlanta.  And he concluded that this is a procedure that each person
who thinks that it might be helpful should look into very carefully.  He was
positive about it and was wishing that Dr. Iacono would get the results of
his work out into the scientific literature.  It looks to be very impressive.
Those who knew something about his work were impressed with his carefulness.
        I appreciate the work that David Devore went to in doing the survey,
and the sharing with us of the findings.  I appreciate Vern's sharing his
caution and concerns.  The choice for such a procedure boils down to an
individual's evaluation of their situation and what they are wanting.
        Don Bern's.  It was very nice to see you on film and to get a sense
of your situation.  The muscular involvement, especially in your off periods,
was very severe; and I can see why you described the effects as miraculous.
They appeared to be.  The last frames I say were you skydiving.  Was that
Dr. Iacono with you?  I appreciate you description of the procedure on the
network last week.
        I, with others, look foward to later news from the Devore's.
                Bob Newbrough  [log in to unmask]